The Christian life can be an exciting adventure. Perhaps, however, many Christians are not experiencing what God has in store for them. As important as it is to read the Bible, pray, and attend church regularly, one’s spiritual journey can go way beyond that. Here are six ways to have an exciting Christian life.
1. Know your spiritual gifts. Every believer has at least one. Mine is teaching the Word of God through writing and speaking. A spiritual gift is a supernatural ability for which a person has had no training or experience, given by the Holy Spirit for the purpose of building the Kingdom of God and edifying other believers. It is a primary way of keeping the body of Christ functioning effectively. Ephesians 4:11-12 makes this very clear: “And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ.” You can identify your gift by reading several passages of scripture that list them and by taking spiritual gift inventories. When a spiritual gift is identified and put to use, the Christian life takes on a whole new meaning.
2. Take the Bible literally. If a Christian has a boring life perhaps it is because the Bible is not taken literally. It can, and should, be taken literally unless there are valid literary reasons not to. Archaeology has proven that stories in the Old and New Testament really did happen. Because Jesus was and is God, He performed literal miracles. The literalness of scripture can have a powerful and exciting affect because of the realization that the awesome power of God revealed in the Bible can be demonstrated in our lives today.
3. Know and follow Bible prophecy. Do you know what the Bible teaches about current events predicted thousands of years ago? If you don’t, you are missing out on an exciting part of being a Christian. World conditions and events are happening literally and to the exact detail as foretold in the Bible. This gives evidence that God is in control and that His word his divinely inspired.
4. Take bold steps of faith. Believe that God may have something better for you than you could possibly imagine. This is related to your spiritual gift. Take steps of faith with the belief that God wants to move your life to a new level of significance and influence. Dream God-sized dreams that only He could make happen. Take steps and watch God work through your life.
5. Pray specific prayers and call out to God in times of need or uncertainty. Recognize how He has answered your prayers, although it may not always be as you expected. Identify times when God has intervened in things beyond your control, or has orchestrated events in your life for your good and His glory.
6. Know that you are doing exactly what God has planned for your life. What is your purpose as a Christian? I am not talking about sharing the love of God and witnessing to others. That is the general purpose for all believers. As important as that is, I am talking about what is your specific ministry? How is God using your life in unique ways? What God is doing in the lives of other people through your life and ministry makes you confident that you are doing exactly what God desires for you to do.
Launch out on an exciting Christian life today!
Ephesians 3:20 says, “Now to him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us.”
What step can you take to add some excitement to your Christian journey?