Challenge: Can You Recite The Ten Commandments?
By Joel B.
There has been a lot of frustration lately about things, such as monuments, listing the Ten Commandments being taken down on government land. These are often hasty decisions made by a single judge with too much power and personal interest in mind. Now that we’ve become a nation that despises such things; I feel it is important that the Christian community respond to this dilemma in a Christ-like manner. So, let’s go to that very popular question in the Christian community: What would Jesus do?
When dealing with adversity, Jesus made a habit of going to the written word. Why? Because it is pure and evil cannot argue with it. So we need to look at what the word says about dealing with the commandments of God and avoiding the destruction of them. When given this challenge, I think one must go to the following scripture:
Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Friends, the Ten Commandments need to be hid in your heart just like this verse talks about. If they are hidden in your heart, then you are less likely to sin against God and no government or institution can force that down. So let’s get to the challenge…
Without looking below, can you recite the Ten Commandments?
I would challenge you to stop reading now and take a pen or pencil and some paper and take a few minutes to see if you’ve got them hidden in your heart. I’m not hear to judge you. This is just so you can see where you’re at with these commandments.
Now that you’ve had a few minutes, let’s take a look at the Ten Commandments (simplified).
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images.
3. Thou shalt not take the Lord God’s name in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy. (The Sabbath is actually a perpetual covenant to last through all ages – Exodus 31:16)
5. Honor your parents.
6. Thou shalt not murder.(Anyone who hates his brother is guilty of murder – 1 John 3:15)
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. (You are guilty of adultery if you look at a woman with lust – Matthew 5:28)
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10. Thou shalt not covet.
So how did you do? Hopefully you’ve gotten them all hidden away down in your heart if they weren’t before. Remember, lock them up and throw away the key. We can do this with all scripture and nobody can take that from you. This will also keep you in alignment with God’s will and help you not to sin against Him. Thank you for reading and God bless.