Parent’s rules, school’s rules, God’s rules – Oh My! Do you feel the pressure of all these rules? The truth is we need them for our protection, especially when we start out in life. Really though, even as an adult there are rules. So it’s safe to say … we are in it together.
Why do we have rules anyway? Is it just so our parents can control our lives? Rules are for our protection against a great many snares. We have an enemy whether we realize it or not and he is on a Seek and Destroy mission. He is in it for the kill and we are his targets. The best way to help ourselves in life is follow the rules. Here are the most important 10 you will read or live by.
- No other gods. (Exodus 20:3) I put God first in my life.
- No idols. (Exodus 20:4-6) No person or thing is more important to me than God.
- Do not take God’s name in vain. (Exodus 20:7) “God” isn’t an empty word to me. I use His name only in a loving way, and I count on Him to help me every day.
- Keep the Sabbath holy. (Exodus 20:8-11) Each week has a special day set aside just for Him.
- Honor my father and mother. (Exodus 20:12) I show respect for my parents. I listen to them.
- Do not murder. (Exodus 20:13) I know life is precious.
- Do not commit adultery. (Exodus 20:14) I show respect for myself and for the opposite sex by keeping my thoughts and actions pure.
- Do not steal. (Exodus 20:15) I refuse to take or keep for my own what does not belong to me.
- Do not give false testimony. (Exodus 20:16) I know a person’s reputation is valuable, and I refuse to lie or gossip about anyone.
- Do not covet. (Exodus 20:17) I like others for themselves, not because they have stylish clothes or the right haircut. Our value is not by what we look like or what we wear.
Here’s some more truth … I’ve broken every one of these precious rules at some time or another in my life. I’m not proud of that. The only thing I am proud of is that I know that He knows my heart and knows my sorrows and forgives me my sins. I love Him and I want my life to be proof of that love.
Have you broken any of these rules? Do you feel they are unreasonable?
Click the word “post” below to see it summed up.