I follow and write about politics for The Bottom Line. I am blessed to be able to write about what interests me. At times, however, I must admit it can be a challenge. Every day there seems to be yet another scandal, injustice, or example of incompetence – and the spin that accompanies it. It takes me back in time. I hear myself reciting my grandma’s words. “What is this world coming to?” I remember smiling and thinking to myself, ‘Oh Grandma, it’s not that bad.’ – Now I better understand what prompted her concern.
Let’s face it. We are in the midst of an age when science and technology advance at lightning speed. We continue to invent new ways to make our lives more productive, efficient, enjoyable and easier. Medical research and development has added to longevity and the quality of life…but can we honestly say life is ‘better?’
In the future, how will we compare to the ‘Greatest Generation?’ – The hardworking, self-sacrificing, freedom loving generation who wanted better lives for their children. What do we have to show for their sacrifice? How would they grade our stewardship of what they left to us? Our children may think we deserve a D-?
- Destruction: Social agendas and moral decline have contributed to the destruction of families thus destroying communities.
- Division: We face deep social, racial, religious and socio-economical divisions.
- Distrust: Our government does not trust the American people, whom they serve, to make their own decisions. Likewise, citizens do not trust government and those in positions of authorities.
- Deficit: In addition to the mind-boggling 18 trillion dollar national debt, we face deficits in morality, responsibility, and integrity. We also face a severe spiritual deficit.
- Death: Abortion and euthanasia. LifeNews believes the abortion count since legalization is over 56 million. ‘reproductive rights’ and the ‘right to die’ is valued more than human life itself.
Destruction, division, deficit, distrust, and death gives cause to deserve a ‘D.’ We deserve the ‘D-,’ because we are on the d-cline and don’t seem to be doing anything to improve our grade.
Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2Chronicles 7:14 (NLT)
This is a spiritual problem that requires a spiritual solution. In his article The Impact of Fasting on Spiritual Warfare, Jake talks about fasting to break spiritual oppression. You may already fast and pray on a regular basis. You may be a Christian, who knows little about fasting. You may not have accepted Jesus as your Savior but believe we need to do something and perhaps you feel something is missing in your life. We can all join together in a movement of prayer and fasting.
If we want America to improve our ‘grade’ – If we want America to move forward, Christians need to humbly join in a united effort to pray for a spiritual awakening that brings about change. Can we commit to prayer and fasting for a better culture, governance, and for a blessed future for our children?
Commit to fast and pray for America. Tweet it. Share it on Facebook and other social networks. Promote it in your church and community.
So we fasted and earnestly prayed that our God would take care of us, and he heard our prayer. Ezra 8:23 (NLT)
I give this a hearty amen! We need travailing, persevering prayer and fasting. This is what ended World War II and brought down the Iron Curtain. It can stop the train of depravity in America as well.