“I am my beloved’s, and his desire is toward me.” Song of Solomon 7:10
I want you to stop for just a second and ask yourself a question. Do you feel loved? Don’t answer too quickly but really reflect on the question. Don’t give me the pat answer or the obvious one, such as “I’ve been married twenty-plus years so, yes, I’m loved.” But think about your life. Reflect on this series of questions to help you determine if you really do feel loved, if you really have accepted love:
- Do you get ready as quickly as you can, avoiding looking in the mirror too closely because you don’t like the way you look?
- Do you enter a room, or even the sanctuary at church, and look for a seat in the back row, a seat where no one will notice you?
- Have you escaped from a family holiday to the kitchen to wash and clean up simply because you didn’t feel like you belonged with the group?
- Do you find yourself making up excuses or imagining ailments to get out of dinner dates with other couples, friends, family, etc?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, let me say that I feel you! I have answered yes to all of them and then some. I thought that human love was all that mattered; and since the greatest majority of my family was dead, I felt that I was unloved. I allowed my feelings of being alone and unloved to lead to poor self esteem. That low self esteem began to determine my self worth. I felt that I was unworthy of anything and wanted to hold myself back from everything. I spent countless years floundering in a self imposed dungeon of despair. How wrong I was!
If you know what I’m talking about, I have good news. God loves you! He loves YOU so much that he crafted an incredible love letter to you. It took him over 2,000 years to write just the right words that you need to hear. He used over 40 scribes, or stenographers, to ensure that his message was recorded just for you. In 66 texts, he outlined reassurance after reassurance of your worth to him. I love that about him, and I love his Word, the Bible, the love letter he so carefully created for you.
When I am feeling down, I look to his word for a little TLC. I am never disappointed. In case you need just a few little pick me ups today, I want to give you three proofs that you are loved.
1) God loves YOU so much that he created you with a specific purpose. Jeremiah 29:11 promises:
“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.”
This plan that God has for you was laid out before you were even born.
“Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations” (Jeremiah 1:5).
Obviously, we were not all created to be prophets like Jeremiah, but we were all formed by God in the womb, sanctified and ordained with a purpose.
2) God loves YOU so much that he created you a wondrous and complex creature. Psalm 139:14 puts it this way, “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”
3) God loves YOU so much that he hears when you cry out to him. “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:” (I John 5:14).
How incredible! The creator of the Universe loves me and loves YOU! My family may still be dead. I may still have poor self esteem, but when I remember his love it raises. He formed me for a purpose. He created me fearfully and wonderfully and He hears my every cry! Knowing these things, how could I not feel loved?
What about you? How has God let you know you are loved?