Everyone has times when they doubt God’s promises for their lives. There are times though, when doubt becomes chronic and casts a dark shadow over our faith. Doubt looms over us like a powerful force that chips away all that God has promised us. Where does this kind of doubt come from? Waiting on God to fulfill His promises to us, being let down or disappointed by others, and not believing God will work out things for our good when suffering happens.
How to overcome doubt:
- Ask God to restore your faith and admit to Him how you are really feeling. If your faith has been shaken by circumstances, ask God to renew your faith in Him and His promises to you.
- Be prepared to go through times of testing. During those times when your faith is being tested, hold on to the promises that God has given you in the past. Faith that is not tested, can never be sure it is real faith.
- Be aware that Satan will bring doubt into your mind about God’s goodness, His love for you, and His plans for you. Satan will taunt you when you are going through tough times, and will try to convince you that if God loved you He would not have allowed this or that happen to you. Recognize this as a scheme from the enemy to hinder your faith in God.
- Be around more people of faith. Doubt can be contagious, and if you are around more people who are doubtful than faithful, it could affect your beliefs.
- Worship the Lord, sing praises to Him. You may not feel like doing this, especially if your faith is wavering but worshiping God lifts our spirits and encourages us to keep believing. Just sit and listen to praise music and it will soothe your doubting spirit. Praise and be raised!
- Ask others to pray for you. Tell someone that you are struggling in your faith, and ask them to pray for you. There is power in agreement in prayer.
When doubt comes, and you hear the whispers of the enemy to cause you to agree with what you are seeing and what the enemy is telling you–immediately pull down those thoughts and renew your mind with the Word of God.
Doubt leads to despair and despair leads to depression. Stop doubt in its tracks before it leads to despair. If you have been waiting for promises to be fulfilled in your life, or for good to come from your tragedies–keep waiting! Do not give up on God and His goodness and love for you. If you are experiencing some painful trial in your life, and you are doubting God; call out to Him today.
“I remain confident of this, I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27:13-14
What do you do when you struggle with doubt?