Are you drifting through life or are you steering your own course? Do you know where you want to be in five or ten years? Life does not have to be one of no purpose or vision. It does not have to be one of just going through the activities of living but never doing anything of value. In 2005 at the age of 56 I began living my life intentionally. I hope you won’t wait as long as I did. I asked the question, “What can I do with what I have to make a difference in the lives of others?”
Living life with purpose means knowing how your life can have a unique contribution toward meeting the needs of other people. You have a clearly defined focus. You know what your gifts are. Your time, energy, money, activities, and priorities, are all centered around your purpose.
People who live life intentionally do not seek to please everyone. They are set on growing into the best version of themselves so that their unique giftedness that God has bestowed upon them can be utilized to the maximum. They trust God to use them in ways, and put them in places, where their life can be put to the best possible use. Here are some indicators of life lived with purpose.
1. There are clearly defined goals, with the end in view.
2. Choices are made to do things that are making a difference in the culture and individual lives.
3. One must often say “No” to things that are not in line with one’s purpose.
4. Books are read that help move a person toward his or her goals or elevate one’s thinking to a higher level.
5. Friendships are developed with the right kind of people.
6. Money is used wisely and in ways that will contribute toward one’s goals.
7. A key factor in living life intentionally is to get rid of all unnecessary noise, mental clutter, and distractions.
8. II Timothy 2:3-4 says that the person who is focused on a mission will not become entangled “in the affairs of this life.”
9. Living life with purpose for a Christian means knowing one’s spiritual gift and seeking out opportunities to put it to use. A Christian will also know that he or she has a confirmed divine directive of God to minister in a particular way.
10. Knowing one’s purpose means you know why you get up every morning.
To what degree are you living your life intentionally? How many of the above points are evident in your life?