“Threshing floor” is used at least 38 times in the Old Testament and twice in the New Testament (Matt 3:12, Luk 3:17). Something that’s mentioned that many times would signify some degree of importance, wouldn’t you think?
So, my first question when God revealed this to me was; what is a threshing floor? I do believe that God is showing me that He is preparing a great threshing floor. And it has to do with the next Great Awakening.
“If ever there was a time this country needed the intervention of God, it is now,” Graham wrote in a letter to supporters of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. “We can and should pray for America as a whole, but remember that when God sets out to change a nation, He begins by changing people. It starts with individuals.”
Now you’re probably wondering what a Great Awakening has to do with a threshing floor. Well first, let’s answer my first question; what is a threshing floor?
Threshing in Bible times was the harvest-time activity by which the grain was removed from the husk, and the chaff was separated from the wheat. The threshing floor was the place where this activity took place. It was a level, windy place where the grain was separated from the chaff. It is a picture of blessing and judgment and I will explain that as I go along.
According to my study, there are 6 different steps in the process of threshing grain so I would like to go through those steps and compare them with scripture so we can get a glimpse of what God is doing and, what I believe He is about to do in the very near future.
- First, they cut the ripened standing grain with hand sickles – Joel 3:13: “Swing the sickle for the harvest is ripe.” And in John 4:35, Jesus says… “Open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.” I don’t believe Jesus is talking here about wheat. I believe He is talking about people. People are searching for truth and they are ready to be swung one way or the other.
- Secondly they bind the grain into sheaves
- Thirdly they glean them or gather stalks of grain left behind. Jesus says in Lk. 11:23; “He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me, scatters.” As I said they will swing one way or the other.
- The next step is to transport the sheaves to the threshing floor where they will be crushed, loosening the grain from the straw – the grain, or wheat, being the useful part and the straw, or chaff, being the useless part. This is a perfect picture, is it not of God separating His people from those who are not? Jesus said in Matthew 13:30 “Collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.” As I said earlier, it’s a picture of judgment and blessing. Those who do not turn to God are facing an eternity in hell, which is described in the bible as a lake of fire. The weeds or chaff represent unrepentant sinners and they will face a judgment of everlasting fire. And the wheat or good grain will be with Jesus in heaven.
- The 5th step is the threshing. Luke says it very clearly in chapter three, verse seventeen: “His winnowing fork is in his hand to clear the threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
- The winnowing is the sixth step and it is done by tossing the grain into the air with winnowing forks.
Now get this picture in your mind; they tossed the grain into the air so the WIND would blow away the chaff, leaving the grain at the winnower’s feet. The wind is used by Jesus in referring to the Holy Spirit in John 3:8 and we all know what happened on the day of Pentecost. “Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven…” (Acts 2:2)
Many preachers and evangelists all over America, including the Billy Graham Organization, believe that America is in the throes of another Great Awakening. That word, “throes” is defined as “an upheaval or a strong or violent change” like a violent wind. I believe a violent wind will come from heaven and sweep through America.
God is on the threshing floor gathering His people for another Great Awakening. And my next question is: are you chaff or wheat? Where will you stand when God awakens His people and saves America? Where will you stand?
Are you one of God’s chosen or are you an unrepentant sinner holding out because you don’t believe? How do I convince you? Let me put it this way; Rome was once a great nation but it was destroyed because of corruption among its leaders. Israel was God’s chosen people but because of their disobedience God allowed them to be taken into captivity for more than four hundred years. An entire city, Sodom, was destroyed by burning sulfur because of sexual immorality. Do you see any comparisons here?
The United States of America has been called a great nation for 200 years; do you see any corruption among our leaders? Are we about to be destroyed? The United States of America was once referred to as a Christian nation. Are we still a Christian nation? Do you see any evidence that we have been disobedient to God? Do you see any evidence of sexual immorality? Do you think that maybe, just maybe God sees it? Do you think that maybe, just maybe God is a little angry? Would you want to fall into the hands of an angry God?
Listen to me! If you are a Christian, you need to start acting like one. You need to get back into the word of God; you need to start worshipping God; you need to turn back to God. There is way too much pettiness and jealousies and discontent among Gods people today. We must come together as a unified body. Don’t forget…
Colossians 3: 13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgives you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Forget about denominationalism and traditions set down by men. Get back to the word of God. I’m not suggesting that you leave your Baptist Church or your Methodist Church or your Assembly of God or whatever; I’m simply saying that we need to forget our differences and focus on where we are in agreement; that Jesus is Lord and He calls us to follow Him and He instructs us to obey the will of the Father. You better get yourself ready for the winnowing.
If you don’t know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, I urge you to repent of your sins; turn your life over to God or you will face His judgment. You can fall to your knees right this moment and cry out to God. “Everyone who calls on the Name of the Lord will be saved.”
But you must do it in faith and belief; not merely using words to make you feel good because Jesus said “Not everyone who calls me Lord, Lord will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of the Father. (Matt 7:21)
When you do fall to your knees and ask for God’s forgiveness, your next step is to make it public. You need to be baptized in public. Jesus said “If anyone is ashamed of Me in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him…” (Mark 8:38) Then find a group of believers and unite with them. You better get yourself ready for the winnowing.
And may God bless us all. Amen.
So let me ask you again; are you chaff or wheat? Where will you stand when God awakens His people and saves America?
I believe the threshing floor is where God purifies His people, not where unbelievers are separated from believers. We are the wheat and the outer husk represents the flesh which must be removed. We are made perfect through suffering, and it is through much tribulation that we enter the Kingdom. The threshing floor is where we are crushed and broken and, like Peter, sifted like wheat.
We are harvested, cleaned and purified, and then gathered into the barn. Then we are crushed and oil and water is added. Then we are baked, baptised with fire, and made into a loaf of bread.. Together with the blood of the martyrs, we are made into a feast of bread and wine. At the marriage supper of the Lamb, Christ will feast on His Bride, the Church.