It is obvious that there is a lot of “doing” of evil deeds these days. Matthew tells us that as the last days become more clearly visible, iniquity shall abound and the love of many shall grow cold. (Matthew 24: 12) But is it God’s desire that His children should be partakers of this type of behavior? He says we have been called as salt and light and that we are to make a difference that will make people wonder about our motivation. (Matthew 5:16) God wants that motivation to be love–His love.
God’s desire is stated clearly in His Word. For instance take Luke 6:31 – “And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise,” and Psalm 34:14, “Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.” What can you do to make a difference? What can you do to put a face and arms and legs on God’s love?
While doing some Yahoo web surfing, a title centering around “acts of kindness” caught my eye. I was intrigued. How were others doing something kind for other human beings? While I am not going to list all of the over 100 ideas that were represented on look.viralnova.com, I would like to give you a list of some that I thought were particularly touching. Look over my list and see if you might be able to do something similar. Not only will you please your Heavenly Father and put a smile on His face, but you will be off-setting the evil deeds that are abounding in so many places and showing others that God’s love still makes a difference in this world.
- Teach another a skill you possess during your lunch hour or other free time opportunities.
- When you buy lunch, buy two and share your time and the extra lunch with a random person – homeless or otherwise.
- Leave an encouraging note for someone in an unexpected place. God will make sure the right person gets it.
- If you are blessed financially and see an expensive need, make the purchase, attach the receipt by the need and the blessed person can redeem the gift at their convenience. In this case it was a set of tires that desperately needed replaced.
- If you own a business, chose to freely give something to those in need. In this case a dry cleaning business cleaned interview outfits for free for the unemployed.
- Instead of giving money or items to an organization, give it directly to the person/people who need it.
- Pick up the slack when another person leaves it … such as paying the tab for a table that skips the bill.
- Leave a thank you note for someone who provides a blessing unknowingly. (Is someone singing beautifully in the apartment close to yours? Is someone cooking wonderful smelling food? Is a neighbor offering passers-by a picturesque front lawn?)
- If possible, give someone the shoes off your feet or coat off your back when they need it. That shouts love.
- Hand out daisies with a positive note attached to “Spirit-selected” people .
Now that you have some idea sprouts, stop and consider what you can do to make a difference. What would be meaningful to you if you had a need?