Someone recently asked the question, “What one [word] describes the characteristic you are looking for when you vote for the next President?”
Romans 12:8 “If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.” (NLT)
A President must be able to fill many roles as they execute the duties of the leader of this great nation. The differences in the personalities and strengths of our past Presidents range from subtle to outright contradictions. Some were humble and spoke softly. Some were bold and demonstrated strength through force. One in particular thought it wise to “speak softly and carry a big stick.” Another chose to trust others … and verify they were worthy to be trusted.
I don’t know that it’s even possible to narrow it down to a single desirable trait when selecting someone to be our president. This nation either wanted or needed different men at different times in history.
As citizens of the United States we may look at it from a worldly perspective. We consider the problems we believe we face as a nation and how we believe they can best be resolved. We then make a choice based on who we believe has the characteristics necessary to “fix what’s wrong in America.”
As Christian citizens we see the characteristics of the only perfect leader that has ever lived in Jesus Christ. Now, before the Freedom From Religion Foundation people rise in protest to such an outlandish statement–no, I am not advocating for a theocracy.
However, looking at the characteristics of Jesus Christ as the leader we see:
- He knew His mission
- He sought wisdom
- He showed strength when righteously angered
- He was compassionate
- He was discriminating when choosing his disciples
- He delegated duties
- He gave clear instructions
- He served
- He taught His disciples
- He told the Truth
- He led by example
- He humbly accepted the will of His Father
- He protects us against our enemy satan
- He shows us how to live free from sin
Jesus Christ led by living a life of humility, truth, respect, and love. As Christians we are to live our lives following His example.
When choosing the next President, whether a follower of Christ or not, the same qualities would serve us well.
We need a President who will:
- Love America and what for which she stands–liberty.
- Know and understand why and how America was formed and what our Constitution tells us freedom looks like in our country
- Seek wise counsel when making decisions
- Demonstrate strength against our enemies both foreign and domestic
- Be compassionate while speaking the truth in love
- Recognize and respect our differences and our choices
- Lead Americans to become better citizens by his (or her) own example
- Will be a strong yet humble servant-leader
Ultimately, God is in control and we can trust our future to Him. It is, however, our duty to learn all we can about each candidate and seek His will when making our decision.
Do you see these traits in any of our current candidates? Have you based your evaluation on personal research or soundbites and propaganda? What is one word that encompasses all the characteristics you’re looking for in a president?