Friends, who doesn’t love a good wedding? I’m sure you are all familiar with the popular bridal march. In case you can’t remember, I will share the first couple lines of it.
Here comes the bride, all dressed in white,
None can compare to her beautiful sight.
Look at how she glows, Let heaven and earth know
This union will last until eternity row…
The Holy Bible declares that whoever finds a wife has found a good thing. One of the additional perks to this is that he also receives favor with the Lord (Prov 18:22). So now that we have established that marriage is a wonderful thing and that I have you humming the bridal march in your head; I’m going to have a little fun and list five reasons to get married, along with five reasons not to.
Top 5 Reasons To Get Married
3. Even though you may be different, you find each others characteristics complimentary and attractive (SOS 1:15).
4. You can’t hold back your physical and spiritual desire for one another (1 Cor 7:9).
Note: I would highly suggest that all, or most, of these ideas are valid before the wedding bells start to ring. Also, a child does not need to be on the way for you to decide that you want to start a family together.
Top 5 Reasons NOT To Get Married
1. Your friends are telling you that you would make a great couple.
2. You don’t think you can do any better and are willing to settle.
3. You feel sorry for your potential spouse and don’t want them to be alone.
4. You know their bank account is loaded and you have bills to pay (Matt 6:24).
5. You have a Winchester Model 21 shotgun aimed at you by your potential bride’s “Ma” and “Pa.” (This one may be up for debate, but personally I would excuse myself to go use the outhouse and then try and make a dash for it.)
Marriage is meant to be a holy union between husband, wife, and the Lord (Ecc 4:12. Mark 10:9). It should not be the result of manipulation or in trying to appease others. For many of us, we have a wonderful privilege in being able to choose who we marry. Let’s honor both God and our spouse with this choice. Thank you for reading and God bless.
What are your best reasons for getting married? What are your best reasons for not getting married? I want to hear from you!