Have you lost your focus lately? Perhaps opposition from the enemy has come your way and brought tremendous discouragement to you. Refocusing on Jesus after opposition and discouragement have come your way is vital to overcoming these tactics.
Merriam-Webster defines opposition as: an action that is done to stop or defeat someone or something, and discouragement is defined as a feeling of having lost hope or confidence.
Maybe you have been making great strides in your spiritual walk or finally pressing through to your breakthrough, and out of nowhere opposition comes to bring discouragement. Once discouragement settles in, depression and defeat are close behind. This scheme from the enemy is to get you to stop, quit, and give up. Discouragement brings a heavy weight that seems unbearable to hold.
Ways we lose our focus:
- We look at the problem or opposition and take our eyes off of Jesus and His ways. The more we “stare” at the problem, the bigger it gets. When we begin to figure out how to solve our problem, it can create anxiousness, worry, and fear. Trying to come up with solutions to our troubles is overwhelming.
- When the enemy begins to speak lies over our situations and he magnifies the circumstances, and we align our thoughts in agreement to these deceptions, we are no longer hearing God’s truth but what the enemy has showed us. Fear begins to encircle us.
- We get entangled in other’s problems and issues who really do not want help. This can cause confusion and mental/emotional fatigue. Getting too caught up in people’s lives who are not wanting real change can easily take your focus off of Jesus. Distractors are sent to us to keep us out of God’s will, distracted or off-course, discouraged, and defeated.
- We look too long or even engaging in the pleasures of the world such as money or media.
- We compare ourselves to what others are doing or what they have.
- We complain and magnify all the wrong in life, instead of counting our blessings.
If you have found yourself in this pit dug out for you from your adversary, get up and out by REFOCUSING.
Use this made-up acronym to help you FOCUS back on Jesus.
F-ilter out all distractions. Whatever is hindering you or causing you defeat, take it to God. Distractions can come through temptations, relationships, and anything else that takes our focus off of Jesus. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
O-btain victory by casting down all thoughts that do not agree with the Word of God, and renew your mind with God’s truth. (Romans 12:2)
C-onnect to God immediately. He is your life source and help during these times, do not run to the phone but to The Throne! (Psalm 34:17-19)
U-tilize your time better, instead of worrying about the problems; pray and then cast your cares on the Lord. (1 Peter5:7)
S-ubmit to God, resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)
The Christian life involves hard work, it requires us to give up whatever endangers our relationship with God. When opposition comes, refocus and keep your eyes and ears on the Lord and His Word.
What has been effective for you in dealing with opposition and discouragement? Thank you for sharing.