Father and son relationships are important, but there is a connection between how daughters view their fathers and God. Dads, pay close attention to what your daughter needs from you in this article. If you are not doing these things, start TODAY, with making things right with your daughter.
It is not a coincidence that girls become promiscuous and look for anyone to fill that empty void that her father should fill in her life. Every girl needs their daddy, and every women longs for a father. Often, women will marry men like their fathers, so dads, do you want your daughter marrying someone like you?
Here is a list of 7 things every daughter needs from her father:
- She needs YOU to be involved. Not you plus anyone else, just you. She needs 1:1 time, and your undivided attention. She needs to know that you have made time for her. Get to know her interest, and participate with her. Find out what she likes and make it a practice to get involved with her. Talk to her, really listen to her, and share your thoughts with her. Take her on a date, and spend quality time with her teaching her about how men should treat women. Open the door for her, pull out her chair, and edify and encourage her.
- Treat her mother well. She will watch how you treat her mother, if you are disrespectful, critical, or abusive to her mother, chances are she will not only pick a future husband to do the same to her, but she will likely suffer from low self-worth and lack the confidence in life she needs.
- She needs your unconditional love. This type of love says, “I love you no matter what.” Does your daughter know that or does she have to perform to get your love?
- Pray for her and with her. Don’t just tell her you will pray for her, but let her hear you praying for her. She needs to know that you cover her spiritually.
- Ask her for forgiveness if you have wounded her in anyway. Humble yourself and tell her that you are sorry for hurting her. KEEP YOUR WORD! If you say you are going to be there, then be there! If you say that you desire a relationship with her, then show her, rather than just telling her.
- Praise her, affirm her, and do not crush her spirit by making comparisons or being overly critical. Tell her she is cherished, she is valued, and she is beautiful. Build her up, because if you don’t some other man will!
- Be gentle with her, try not to be harsh and angry with her. She needs to be the disciplinarian, but not the drill sergeant. Disciple her the way Christ does.
Fathers, your daughters needs you! Please value her as a Gift from God, because truly she is a treasure from the Lord. Remind her often of her worth and value that comes from Christ, and then affirm your love for her. Your role cannot be underestimated, she will have a tendency to follow after men that treated her like you did.
Fathers, do you treat your daughters like a valued treasure? If yes, in what ways? Please share with the other dads. We need your input! We need you!