Have you sensed that something is not right in your life, but are not able to figure out exactly what? Have you tried to make the feeling go away by distracting your mind, but the nagging feeling still remains. Maybe what you are experiencing is a spiritual attack. Sometimes, when we have great spiritual victories in our lives like Elijah; warfare comes after (see 1 Kings 19:4). Other times, we can be on the verge of a breakthrough, and the enemy tries to stop it. We may also have work to do for the Kingdom of God that the enemy attempts to derail. Then there are times as Christians, we come under attack because of what we believe.
You may have all, some or just one of these signs that you are under spiritual attack: (this list is not exhaustive, the enemy can attack in other ways).
- Feel discouraged, defeated, and depressed. Things seem hopeless, overwhelming, and burdensome. You feel an overall sense of disappointment. Struggle with a lack of peace and feeling stress. Feel like giving up.
- Loss of spiritual desire. Difficulty with prayer life, staying connected to other Christians, and maintaining your ministry or work with God.
- Physical fatigue and/or sickness/malaise. Feel drained and lack energy/motivation. May even experience headaches and an overall sense of not feeling well.
- Doubt God’s goodness. Struggle with trusting God to come through for you. May even feel anger towards God for “letting you down.” Believe that God is mad at you and punishing you.
- Negative, disturbing thought life. The enemy attacks your mind, and the mind is the battlefield. You may be wrestling with anxious, fearful, or worrisome thoughts. You could be plagued with disturbing thoughts of harming yourself, or even thoughts that “nobody cares about you.”
- Thinking about going back to your old lifestyle. The enemy places thoughts in your mind about “the good old days.” He will lie to you and tempt you with the very things you have been delivered from.
- Old emotional wounds from the past are resurfaced. You believed you had dealt with that area of pain in your life, only to find out it is “thrown” back at you.
- Battling with feelings of guilt, condemnation, and shame. Have difficulty with feeling like you are not good enough, that you do not do enough, and feel shameful for these things.
- Feelings of rejection, belonging and loneliness seem to be heightened. You feel no one truly understands you, and do not feel like you belong anywhere.
- Confusion over what you believe. You may hear something like, “Is Jesus really the only way to heaven?” or, “You can co-exist with other religions.”
If you feel you are under spiritual attack, do not give up! Attacks will come, but know God is fighting for you, and it shall pass. Do not give into what the enemy shows or tells you, he is a master of magnification and illusion. Even if your life seems out of control or that darkness is sitting upon it-Hold on, help is on the way! Through Jesus Christ we have the power and authority to bind the enemy from operating in our lives. Read Ephesians 6:12-18.
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8