Many wonderful books have been written about the uses of apple cider vinegar. Thousands of years ago, it began as a food preservative, but its health benefits were revealed in short order.
Vinegar is made by fermenting carbohydrates (grapes, apples, beets). Slow fermentation over weeks or months yields the “mother” of vinegar, an amino-based and murky-appearing substance. This “mother” strand contains beneficial proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria. When unprocessed and unfiltered, it provides a product of highest quality. In Part I this week, we will look at what it can do to improve our health. Next week, we will cover ways it can be used in our beauty routine and household cleaning.
These are only a few of the “medicinal” uses for apple cider vinegar:
1. Lower Blood Sugar – This is believed to occur either by preventing complete digestion of complex carbohydrates or by slowing the conversion of carbs to sugar via inactivation of some of the digestive enzymes. One study showed improved insulin sensitivity in 19% of individuals with Type 2 diabetes and 34% of those with pre-diabetes.
2. Heart Health – A decrease in cholesterol, tryglycerides and blood pressure has been noted in animal studies.
3. Weight Loss – Apple cider vinegar increases satiety (feeling of fullness) and speeds up the body’s metabolic rate.
4. Sinus Congestion – It has antibacterial properties and the ability to break up mucus. When diluted with warm water, it provides a therapeutic gargle for a sore throat.
5. Digestion and Acid Reflux – It breaks down food and improves acid content in the stomach. The pectin may also settle intestinal spasms. A tablespoon in a cup of water taken prior to a meal can help reduce gas and bloating.
6. Skin Irritations – It can be soothing for bug bites, poison ivy, acne, sunburn and dandruff. Use in a diluted strength.
7. Energy – The enzymes and potassium found in apple cider vinegar help eliminate fatigue while the amino acids help prevent buildup of lactic acid.
8. Joint Mobility – Soaking in a warm bath with a couple cups of apple cider vinegar added will increase mobility by dissolving uric acid in the body. It will help eliminate soreness from arthritis, tendonitis and gout.
9. Hiccups – By triggering the nerves in the throat, it can help stop hiccups.
10. Mood Boosting – When proteins are broken down into amino acids, they are used in forming tryptophan. Tryptophan plays a role in the release of serotonin, the “feel good” neurotransmitter.
JEHOVAH JIREH: GOD, OUR PROVIDER
And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.” (Matthew 4:23 / KJV)
I’m thankful that God has provided so many healing foods, plants and substances for our benefit.
If you’ve used apple cider vinegar, how has it helped you? What symptoms have you improved or eliminated with it?