Waiting is difficult, and if we are not careful we can grow weary and despondent as we wait. Sometimes it seems that we have been waiting forever for God to fulfill His promises to us. Sometimes we may even lose hope, as hope deferred can make our hearts sick.
What lies have you believed about God and His love for you because you are tired in the waiting?
Here are some practical steps that you can take as you wait:
- Enjoy your time as you wait. So many of us do not enjoy our lives as we are waiting for things in our lives to be fulfilled.
- Stop being all wrought up, anxious and worried all the time. Have peace as you wait, peace that God does hear and know your prayers and desires. We can waste a lot of time fretting about what we do not have yet.
- Stop feeling sorry for yourself and let go of self-pity, it will only make matters worse. CHOOSE to be thankful for the things that are good in your life, and CHOOSE to reflect on what you do have. Actively look, and seek the good in your life.
- Revive your hope and stir up your dreams and desires again. Take time to ask and seek God for a new vision for your life, and rekindle the promises that He has already given you.
- Seek God first above everything else you desire, you want or you are waiting for. Simple, but so many of us just don’t put God first. Time in His presence will fill you up and bring answers to your thirsty soul.
- Stay away from desiring to have someone else’s life. You are unique and God has a unique plan for your life, so don’t compare your life to others or want what they have.
- Be content with the lot you have been given and the lot you are currently in. Contentment breeds peace and joy.
Scriptures that have helped me personally get through the waiting times:
Wait for the Lord, Be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:13-14, NIV
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassion never fails. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion, therefore, I will wait for Him.” The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him. Lamentations 3:22-25, NIV
Though He brings grief, He will show compassion, so great is His unfailing love. For He does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of God. Lamentations 3:31-33, NIV
Here are some things to meditate on from the above scriptures and to replace any lies that you have been believing about God and His love for you as you are waiting:
- God encourages us to wait for Him.
- The Lord has great love for us and His compassion for us never fails.
- The Lord is faithful.
- The Lord is good to those who hope in Him, and to the ones who seek Him.
- God shows us compassion and great is His unfailing love.
- God does not willingly bring affliction or grief to His children.
What have you been waiting for God to answer, or what promises are you waiting for Him to fulfill? How can we pray for you in agreement with you for your promise?
Thanks for this very practical article. I have applied several of your points to situations of waiting for God’s direction in MY life.
Thank you so much, your comment has blessed me greatly!