When we start to look at our problems and circumstances, and begin to project future events; we are on dangerous ground. The anxious person has little peace, and without peace there is turmoil and confusion. Even Christians can experience anxiety, but it is usually a result of taking our focus off of Jesus and onto the external things going around us. The underlying cause of anxiety is the belief that danger is lurking. These dangers have to do with the concern that we are not able to control our circumstances, and we are vulnerable to less than desirable outcomes.
There are many things around us that can cause great apprehension and fear. What should a Christian do when they experience anxiety? Is medication the answer? There is nothing wrong with seeking an evaluation from a doctor, but what if there is more to treating anxiety than medication. Consider for a moment, that there is a spiritual realm of darkness that works against you. Christians can experience a spirit of anxiety.
Steps to Overcoming Anxiety:
- Meditate and read scriptures that apply to anxiety. Speak the Word of God over your circumstances.
A man cannot discover anything about his future.
Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you.
(1 Peter 5:7)
Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Do not fret-it leads only to evil.
So do not worry, saying “What shall we eat?” or “What shall we drink?” or “What shall we wear?” For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly father knows that you need them.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.
- Pray and ask the Lord to uncover the “roots” of your anxiety. Expose the lies of the enemy to the truth of God’s Word.
- Exercise regularly. This helps to alleviate and manage anxiety. Talk to God as you exercise.
- Take a warm bath; warm water relaxes muscles. Listen to relaxing music, light scented candles, and drop some lavender oil in the bath.
- Journal. Write down your thoughts, feelings, and worries, and then surrender them to God.
- Focus on one day at a time. Don’t get ahead of yourself and project future outcomes.
- Be careful of what you’re watching, listening to and reading for entertainment.
And remember God can break every chain! There is power in the name of Jesus. Ask Him.
Nice clear and concise explanation of the causes of anxiety. I am on medication. I am also getting rid of some of the stressors in my life. People need to understand that it is very real and that there is not necessarily a “spiritual fix” to it all of the time. I also relax by listening to music. Thanks for the article.